With April around the corner, are you ready for oral cancer awareness month? April is designated oral cancer awareness month, where the dental community unites to create public awareness of oral cancer and pharyngeal cancer. This is an increasingly important program, as the cure rates for this type of cancer are typically low, killing 8,000 people every year. In the past, the biggest risk for oral cancer was linked to adults who smoked, used tobacco, and who had high rates of alcohol consumption. Now the tides have turned, and oral and pharyngeal cancer is rising in the younger generation. The reason? HPV (the human papillomavirus) which has become the leading cause of oral cancer today.
Our goal is to diagnose oral cancer in the early stages, because survivability depends on early detection and treatment. We will be looking for these symptoms at your checkup.
- Do you have a sore throat or neck mass?
- Do you have sores in the mouth that bleed easily and don’t seem to heal?
- Do you have a thick lump, hard spot, or a rough, crusty area in the mouth?
- Do you have unusual tenderness, pain or numbness in the mouth?
- Is your bite off, are your teeth not fitting together when you bite down?
We hope you are ready for April and becoming more aware of your oral health, not just for happy teeth and gums, but for your overall health as well. Along with a beautiful smile, our goal is to help you have a long and healthy life. To schedule a visit with Dr. Robert A. McCulla, please call our Turlock Dental Care team in Turlock, California at 209-667-7889 today.