Are you aware of the benefits that chewing gum can provide for your smile? Did you know that chewing gum is beneficial for cleaning out your mouth and making sure that there is no loose debris or plaque buildup lingering around your teeth and gums? Furthermore, are you aware that chewing sugarless gum after meals is more effective than using a brush and toothpaste? Listed below are a few more facts associated with chewing gum:
– One of the main benefits derived from chewing gum is through the production of saliva. Saliva is essential for keeping your mouth safe as it can help wash away harmful acids and food debris. It has even been shown to help provide disease-fighting substances for your mouth.
– Studies have shown that chewing sugarless gum for a period of 20 minutes or longer after a meal can help to effectively fight cavities.
– Chewing gum has also been shown to help prevent and treat heartburn as it can promote saliva flow to limit the effect of stomach acids that have traveled up into your mouth.
– Chewing gum is often most effective after meals when other cleaning products such as brushing should not be used. Chewing gum is non-abrasive, so it is extra effective when your teeth are at a heightened sensitivity or are susceptible to abrasion.
– Always be sure to use sugar-free gum as traditional gum contain sugars which can hinder the effects and benefits obtained from chewing it.
When you are ready to visit the dentist office of Turlock Dental Care in Turlock, California, for cavity prevention treatments, you can book an exam by calling us at 209-667-7889. Dr. Robert A. McCulla and our entire team look forward to providing you with the safe smile you desire.